Tuesday, October 11

Supremely Veggie Pizza on homemade dough

Several posts ago, I talked about the love I have for my Cuisinart food processor.  This is one of the best kitchen products I own and I use it so very often to make a myriad of recipes.  One of my favorites is homemade pizza dough. The Cuisinart came with a handy-dandy recipe booklet with an excellent pizza dough recipe. Of course, I don't follow the recipe to a T--I add my own spices and herbs.

It takes some time (gotta let the dough rise), so I don't do it very frequently. However, when I DO make pizza, I absolutely love it!

This night, I decided to make a whole-wheat and cornmeal dough and top the pizza with a ton of veggies. My own version of veggie supreme.  Here's a look at the process.


IMG_1826
Letting the dough come together on the pizza peel before allowing to rise.

IMG_1827
The dough, just hanging out in an oiled bowl waiting to rise.

While I was waiting for the dough to rise, I grilled up some zucchini and eggplant.  I didn't want to over-cook the veggies, since I was going to be topping the pizza with them.

IMG_1828


IMG_1829
The dough has risen!!

Because I had more than enough dough, I decided to make two pizzas that night. The veggie supreme and a traditional Margherita pizza.

IMG_1831
Veggie supreme pizza: grilled eggplant, zucchini, roasted cherry tomatoes, basil, mozzarella.

IMG_1830
Margherita pizza, waiting patiently for its time in the oven. 

Because we have only one pizza stone (a secret to my success of pizza cooking), I cooked the veggie supreme first and then put the Margherita in the oven. 

IMG_1833
Veggie supreme cooling on the pizza peel.

IMG_1832
Even though this doesn't look pretty, it sure tasted good!

No comments: