Friday, October 7

Okra? What the heck can I do with Okra?

Last year, we received a bag of an unfamiliar vegetable in our CSA share. When I first saw this green, tube-like veggie, I had no idea what it was. I even posted a picture to Facebook asking for answers from friends. Turns out, it was OKRA.  Fried okra was the only recipe/preparation style that I was familiar with. But, I had never tasted the veggie.

I have several cookbooks--some really great ones--and they help to give me a good starting point for food prep. Especially when I am using a new ingredient.  Unfortunately, okra does not have many entries in ANY of these cookbooks.  I was able to find one on the information superhighway that included curry powder and tomatoes. Some GREAT flavors in there.

One thing to keep in mind is that okra can get slimy. Yes, slimy...  So, if you buy some, be sure to use it very quickly.

After cleaning, I sliced the okra--I used it ALL up!  I began sauteing it in garlic and onions.

IMG_1822

I then added a large can of crushed tomatoes. I bet you didn't think it was possible to find local canned tomatoes, but I managed to get some at the Fair Food Farm Stand at Reading Terminal Market. These tomatoes are grown and canned in Jersey.

IMG_1823

I let the tomatoes and okra simmer for a long time on very low heat. From there, I added a can of rinsed chickpeas.

IMG_1825

The okra/tomato mixture was then served over basmati rice. Success!

No comments: