Tuesday, May 8

From the NY Times: Is it ethical to eat meat?

Michael Pollan is one of my favorite authors and I follow him on Facebook. His writing is excellent, and when I watch him in interviews, I find his tone to be approachable and never condescending. His advice is simple and I believe his book, "In Defense of Food" radically changed my food choices.  

He is a regular contributor to the New York Times and today, posted the following on Facebook: 
Winner of NYTimes "ethics of meat-eating" essay contest announced. V. controversial. http://t.co/OOUIEzyj
The NY Times article discusses the more than 3,000 responses to a simple question they posed last week, "Is it ethical to eat meat?"  Very interesting and Pollan is correct, very controversial. 
Image from NY Times. Russell Bell.
I have friends who are vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, omnivores, and carnivores. Most of my meals are vegetarian, and I never hesitate to accommodate the food choices of guests who come to my home. I believe that food choices are personal, and the reasons for these choices vary greatly.  
So, readers, what do you think of the NY Times question?  

No comments: