Friday, May 11

Time to Carb Load!

Local Food Lady, along with 34,012 of my closest friends, participated in the 2012 Broad Street Run.  I really enjoy this race, as it takes you from Olney in North Philadelphia, around City Hall, through the gates of the Navy Yard, with a finish next to the big ships. 

You may have heard about runners "carb loading" before big races, as there is a widely held belief that by eating carbs before a long-distance running event, you loading up your muscles with glycogen.  I regularly run, but I don't regularly carb load before a race. I just had to this past Saturday, especially after my recent buys at the Farmer's Market.

I decided to make one of my favorite pasta dishes--penne carbonara--the night before the race. It combines carbs, fats, savory flavors, and proteins.  Great dish and simple to make!

To make:
  • 1 lb penne pasta (fresh, if possible)
  • 2 eggs scrambled (I got mine from Jack's Farm)
  • olive oil
  • fresh basil
  • pecorino romano cheese
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta to the water and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. I used all of the whole wheat penne I bought from Vera Pasta. While the pasta is cooking, crack and scramble your eggs, add some cheese to the scrambled egg mixture.  Drain the pasta well, and return to pot. Pour egg/cheese mixture over the pasta and turn the heat onto low. Slowly mix the pasta with the egg/cheese mixture, until egg begins to get more solid. Top with fresh basil and extra cheese.


Carb load

No comments: