Wednesday, September 4

Delicata squash with greens and kielbasa

So, I found myself with a glut of delicata squash and I was unsure what to make of it. As you know, I don't really follow recipes, but I'm "inspired" by them.  We had a party to attend, so I decided that the delicata squash would be a great base for the dish that I was going to bring. 

I looked at my cookbooks and found one for a sausage-stuffed delicata squash recipe. I didn't have any sausage, but I did have some excellent kielbasa in my freezer.

I began by preparing the squash, scrubbing the skins, cutting it lengthwise and scooping out the seeds.  I cooked the squash (skin-side up) in the oven at 375 degrees until easily pierced with a knife. I suggest checking on it after 20 minutes as cooking times vary, depending upon the thickness of the squash.  Once done, take the squash out of the oven and flip over. 

While the squash was cooking, I heated up my Le Creuset with some bacon pieces and onions.  Once the bacon leeched some fat into the pan, I began crumbling the kielbasa and browning it on medium heat.  Once the kielbasa appeared to be cooked thoroughly, I added about 2 handfuls of chopped kale to the pot.

Turn the heat to low and allow the kale to wilt down. Mix everything well in the pan and scoop into the cooked squash.  Once all squash is filled, top with breadcrumbs and put under the broiler briefly.

These were a huge hit at the party. We sliced them into small bites and everyone enjoyed them as finger food. One thing to keep in mind, you can eat the skins of delicata squash. 


No comments: