Tuesday, September 10

Every good soup starts the same way...

I have found that every single soup starts with the same base:
  • carrots
  • onions (or leeks)
  • garlic
  • celery (if available)
  • spices (sage, thyme, bay leaves)
It's a great start to any soup. Get those chopped veggies into a large stockpot with a touch of oil. Warm until fragrant. Add about 8 - 10 cups veggie stock or chicken stock (water works just fine, too).   Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.

This time, I found myself with lots of escarole. It's more of a bitter green, which is why it goes well in soups as opposed to eating it in a salad.

I chopped the escarole, added it to the pot, along with two cans of cannelini beans, and 3/4 cup pastini. I allowed that to simmer for a bit, and then cool on the stove top until ready for refrigeration.  I always give my soups at least a day before eating them. It allows the flavors to settle in and makes for a better tasting soup.

Here's a shot of my escarole soup. You could add small meatballs and eggs if you were going for a traditional "Italian Wedding Soup."  Otherwise, this recipe as posted is vegan.

No comments: