Sunday, August 7

Drumroll, please...

I am happy to report that the fruit CSA has commenced!  It begins without too much fanfare, but I have been anticipating this day since I mailed our check back in the freezing, dark days of February.  We have opted for the 15-week fruit share and will enjoy several pounds of apples, peaches, pears, plums and other excellent fruits that are grown on an orchard in Cochranville, PA. We just head down to our farmer's market (as is our usual Saturday event), get our bag of pre-selected items and begin to enjoy!

This morning, I had an email from Northstar Orchard which outlined the goodness that was going to be in this week's share.  Farmer Lisa is very descriptive in her emails, so I am going to let her words speak for the wonderful products they have available:
  • John Boy Peaches (red and yellow; yellow flesh). Simply delicious...give 'em a few days to soften up. 
  • Sansa Apples - Sweet, crunchy, and fruity! Something particularly noteworthy with Sansa is they don't really turn brown when cut, so they are a nice variety to use as slices on a fruit/veggie plate or in a salad without needing to add lemon juice. 
  • Imperial Epineuse Plums (blueish purple) - Sweet through and through, these are a famous French variety. Can be eaten firm or soft. 
  • Summerbeaut Nectarines - I LOVE nectarines...they have all the flavor of peaches without all of the fuzz! Plus the texture of the skin is fabulous. I hope you like them as much as I do! 
  • Delight Pears  - sweet, luscious flavor in such an early pear! Melt-in-your mouth texture. You'll be amazed! But be patient, these may take several days to most of a week to soften up. In the meantime, you'll have gone through your peaches and plums...so no rush!  
As you can tell, Lisa is very enthusiastic about their fruits. I have not yet enjoyed any of this week's fruit CSA, but by the time you read this, I'm sure  I will have already sampled a few bites.  I hope to also have a few items featured in blog postings this week.

Week 1 Fruit

No comments: