Tuesday, August 16

I scream, you scream, we all scream for...

ICE CREAM!

On Friday evening, I tried my hand at making ice cream.  Problem is, I don't own an ice cream maker. I had heard on the radio that you can make ice cream with two Ziploc bags.  I did a little more searching, and came upon a recipe that used the ever dependable Cuisinart!!

It really was the simplest of recipes: half and half, sugar, frozen fruit and vanilla extract.  Since I am more likely to be inspired by a recipe, than to follow one, I tweaked the recipe to include the following:
Before the ice cream "set"
  • 3/4 cup organic half and half
  • 1/4 cup organic skim milk
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar
  • 2 "splashes" of bourbon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups frozen rasperries
  • 2 peaches, sliced
  • a few frozen blueberries for good measure
I added the first five ingredients and pulsed the Cuisinart several times.  I then added the peaches and the blueberries.  It resembled a bowl of melted ice cream, but it had a really good taste. I put it in the freezer, until it got a little bit more "set."  It was even better (and more scoop-able) the next day.

Fresh from the ice cream scoop.
After taste testing with the mister and our friend, we all agreed that the frozen raspberries probably had a little too much "freeze" to them, which gave the ice cream more of a water ice aftertaste, but it was great, nonetheless. 

No comments: