Monday, July 25

Beet this dish.

Once I returned from the Farmer's Market, I jumped right in with making some foodstuffs...I got the beets into the toaster oven.

How do I prepare my beets? I scrub them and then cut the tops and bottoms off. Put the beets in some water and cook covered in a toaster oven (or the regular oven) at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Let the beets cool in the oven and place in the fridge overnight. The next day, the skins will slide off the beets and you can cut them or shred them in your Cuisinart.

Beet this dish
A quick "assembly" for beets: add feta cheese, mint, and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, and salt and pepper. Toss the beets with the dressing and top with feta. Enjoy.  You can also give the recipe more depth by adding toasted walnuts to the beet salad.


This dish is a great salad at any time of the year, since beets can be grown year-round (if you use a hoop house).

No comments: