Monday, July 25

CSA and Farmer's Market booty!!!

Wow. Just wow. Every Saturday at my market is like Christmas morning. I return an empty CSA box to my farmer and receive a full one in exchange.  Each week, I open it up to find an array of veggies (and sometimes, fruit) in the most vivid colors.This week's haul contained some really great items:
  • beets
  • tomatoes (large and cherry) in all sorts of colors
  • mini watermelon
  • cucumbers and English cucumbers
  • green and white peppers
  • red leaf lettuce
  • green lettuce
  • spinach
  • white string beans
  • potatoes (the first of the season!)
  • turnips
  • zucchini
Weekly box of surprises
Look at this haul!

 

As I've said before, I supplement my CSA with purchases from the Farmer's MarketNorth Star Orchard had their first apples of the season, their nectarines  and I managed to purchase the last three peaches they had!  Also, their beets were HUGE, so I bought two to cook up on Saturday afternoon.
First apples from North Star Orchard!
Big ol' beets.












Our market also features a local bakery--St. Peter's--that makes excellent breads, sweets and other fun foodstuffs. I picked up some rolls for this week for pulled pork sandwiches. I'll let you know later in the week how they taste. 


No comments: