Thursday, July 21

Breakfast for dinner? Yes, please!

Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner? And I'm not talking about a bowl of cereal. There's a reason why diners sell breakfast 24 hours a day--eggs and bacon are tasty at ANY time!

The mister and I went for a run last night on a shaded trail near our house. We tried to go a little bit later than we usually do so as to let the temperature go down at least a degree or two. As you can imagine, the high heat and humidity left us drenched after our run. Between watering the flower/herb containers outside and showering up, I didn't get a chance to start cooking until after 8:00 pm. Yeah, I know. That's way too late to start cooking.

Omelet time!
Our eggs come from our CSA with Jack's Farm. The first time I cracked a farm-raised egg from Jack's, I couldn't believe how bright the yolk is. Real foods contain gorgeous colors. Scrambled, fried, poached, over easy...it's delicious any way you prepare these eggs.

I made the mister a sandwich with two eggs over medium with goat cheese and two slices of bacon. (Take note readers, I like to use bacon in many recipes. Say it with me, "bacon makes everything better!") The mister dresses up his sandwich with ketchup and/or Tiger Sauce.

Since there were four slices of bread in the toaster, I was planning on a sandwich for dinner, too. I like to scramble two egg whites with one whole egg. Takes out some of the fat and the dog gets the benefit of scrambled egg yolks. Before I scrambled the eggs, I heated up a selection of CSA cherry tomatoes in the pan with some garlic. Once cooked, I put them to the side and poured the eggs in. Then came trouble...

Scrambled yolks for the dog. She loves 'em.
I realized there was too much in the pan to fit on a sandwich. You know what that means? Omelet time!!! I cooked the eggs to my desired consistency, returned the cherry tomatoes to the pan and added goat cheese.

I decided to put that bacon on the side of my omelet and enjoyed the toast with some apple butter from North Star Orchard. You gotta try this apple butter.

Even the dog enjoyed some local food action tonight. When I was done cooking my eggs, I threw her yolks into the pan and cooked them up. She scarfed those down and was hoping (aka: begging) for more!

No comments: