Tuesday, July 26

The Best Pot Ever

This is the best pot ever. I really love this pot. It makes all of my dishes taste better. What is this pot?
The best pot ever
Le Creuset: The Best Pot Ever

This pot is not the green vegetable matter that is illegal in most US states. It's French pot...definitely not grown locally. I mean, it's from France; it even has a fancy name - Le Creuset.

I received my Le Creuset from my mom (thanks, Mom!) for Christmas. It is cast iron, which means I get a workout whenever I cook with it. This thing is heavy and I should probably weigh it just to get an idea of its "heft." 

I use it often in my meal preparation (you'll see a trend with the more photos I post). Le Creuset pots take some time to warm up, but the heat is evenly distributed throughout. It makes for easier meal preparation. It also holds onto temperatures after I turn off the burner, so any second helpings taste great.

These cast iron pots were a staple of many a grandmother's kitchen.  I really don't remember if my Mom-Mom had them, but I know that you will find them at tag sales. Cast iron pans were often "seasoned" from previous meals and lent a richness of flavor. I'm sure that you had a grandmother or aunt that prepared Thanksgiving dinners with cast iron cookware. 

Why do I use such a relic of cookware so often? First, it's timeless. These are the types of pots you will have in your kitchen forever. Second, they hold up to high temperatures, both on the stove top and in the oven. Third, with cast iron cookware, I don't worry about Teflon leaching into my foods. (A word about Teflon, it's a rather incredible invention. I have chosen to limit my use of non-stick pans for my long term health.)

I'm hoping to add more cast iron cookware to my kitchen and eventually eliminate my non-stick pans. Unfortunately, cast iron does have a higher price tag. Until then, I will favor my blue Le Creuset for food creations. 

How's the pot in your kitchen?

No comments: