Wednesday, July 20

A Summer Staple: The BLT, but with a twist!

Frequent Summer Dinner by Local Food Lady
Frequent Summer Dinner, a photo by Local Food Lady on Flickr.
This time of year, we have an abundance. An abundance of heat, humidity, and haze. Along with this weather, we have a bounty of two of my favorites: zucchini and tomatoes!! Most of our veggies come from our summer CSA with Jack's Farm. I supplement with weekly purchases at the Farmer's Market.

These two summer crops are the main ingredients of one of my favorite summer dinners that requires limited use of the stove. This is ideal on 100° days.

BLTs remind me of growing up. I'd be at the pool all day and my mom would make these for dinner. They were fast, portable, and I could assemble them myself. My own version of this summer staple is the BBT - Bacon, Basil and Tomato on toast.

Other than the bread and the condiments, this dinner is made with local ingredients. This recipe covers enough for the mister and me.

Ingredients:
  • Two small to mid-sized zucchini
  • Garlic
  • Basil
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper

Cut and quarter the zucchini. Put in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 5-10 minutes while you chop your garlic and wash/chop your basil. Bring your pan to a low/med heat. Add Olive Oil and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes. Shake the excess water from the zucchini and add to pan. Cook slowly, being careful not to overcook (mushy). Add basil about 2 minutes after zucchini. Move all items around pan carefully. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, checking consistency.

BBT ingredients:
  • 4 slices of whole grain bread
  • 6 slices of bacon (our favorite bacon comes from Countrytime Farm in Hamburg, PA)
  • 1 large tomato sliced
  • Bunch of basil leaves
  • Condiments (mayo, salt and pepper)

I like my bread toasted for the crunch and will add just a minimal amount of mayo to the bread. I layer the sandwich with 3 slices of bacon, the tomatoes and then the basil on top. I always add my salt and pepper to the tomatoes. Stack the slice of bread on top and enjoy. I sometimes forget how filling this sandwich can be!

For a different taste on the BBT, substitute a thin slice of mozzarella for the mayo.

I hope you add these to your summer staples.

No comments: