Friday, July 29

We are on a roll!

Second night in a row we've had some sort of sandwich.  As I'm sure you have figured out, the mister and I are not vegetarian.  That said, we limit our meat and purchases to the Farmer's Market.  We want to know the conditions in which the animals were raised. So, we talk to our farmers. Some farmers readily volunteer this as part of their marketing.  Products raised humanely on small farms can cost more, but since meat is such a small percentage of our diet, it doesn't break our bank.  I realize this choice is not for everyone, but it is what works for us.

Mango Tango ready to be warmed up!
We have an excellent pork farmer at the Farmer's Market - Country Time Farm.  Her farm is in Berks County, in a town called Hamburg (am I the only one that sees the irony in that?).  She and her husband pride themselves on their antibiotic-free, humanely raised pork.  She sells everything from bacon (the best!), pork roll, hot dogs, racks of ribs and loins.  There is always a line at her table and many items (like the bacon) will sell out early.  I am neurotic and always need at least ONE package of Country Time's bacon in the refrigerator and one waiting in the freezer. 'Cause everything is better with bacon!!

One of our more rare purchases from Country Time--but tasty, nonetheless--is their Mango Tango Pulled Pork. The pulled pork is cooked in their special Mango Tango BBQ sauce. This BBQ sauce is slightly sweet, with a touch of heat, very little smoke flavor and has small pieces of mango throughout. It is a real treat to have this for dinner.
Mango Tango Sandwich with Beet Salad
On a Roll with Mango Tango and Beet Salad
Along with the Mango Tango, I created my favorite beet dish. I shredded some cooked beets over the weekend.  I added toasted walnuts, some goat cheese and parsley I got from my containers. The dressing is the key to this dish. It has olive oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and...honey!  I get my honey from beekeepers that are about 5 miles from our house and they sell at the market, too! So flavorful. This beet salad compliments almost any meal.

We finished off our dinner with another Insalata Caprese (see yesterday's post).  Summer food is so great! 

Caprese Salad with Red and Yellow
Insalata Caprese with Red and Yellow Tomatoes

No comments: