Friday, July 22

The mister makes dinner

I had a meeting last night and so the mister made dinner. He can cook (I know this!!), but anyone will agree that it is helpful when given some ideas about what to cook.

We have a mess of green beans from our CSA this year. I guess the June weather conditions were quite good for growing green beans, so they are aplenty!

The mister was steaming his green beans when I got home last night and had the pecorino romano and olive oil out on the counter. I asked if some toasted almonds would be welcome on the dish (the mister's answer: "yes!"), so I threw them in the toaster. The mister added the cheese, almonds, threw in some garlic powder and topped the bowl with some great olive oil. I think the mister did a good job on his dinner and he seemed to enjoy it.

Using the same ingredients, you can vary your preparation and come out with a different dish (texture, flavor) altogether. Snap the ends of the green beans off and cut them in half. I also rinse them well before cooking--you should always wash your fruit and produce before cooking. The green beans get a quick steam bath (it's good for the complexion) and then I dunk them in ice cold water to prevent them from getting mushy.

I drain the cold beans in a colander and then add them to my saute pan with garlic, olive oil and basil. Move the beans around to get them covered in the oil and flavors. Once al dente, remove from the heat and serve. Add the pecorino and enjoy this dish by itself or compliment your favorite pasta with the beans.

No comments: